|Vankaya Pachi Pulusu / Roasted Eggplant Stew|
While celebrating Ugadi, today I am featuring a south indian special dish, that is made with Eggplant / Vankaya. and known as Vankaya Pachi Pulusu / Roasted Eggplant Stew. You can make this with out the egg plant also. But I felt like addition of roasted egg plant gives a nice authentic taste. As name says, this a raw stew, not boiled but made with raw tamarind juice with the addition of tempering. And this is very good during summer as it makes your tummy cool, with out missing any flavors in your meal. With out any due, let me share the recipe here!!
Egg plant - 1 medium
Onion - 1 medium
Green Chili - 1 or 2
Tamarind - 1 Tbsp or small lemon size
salt - 1 tsp
red chili flakes - 1 tsp
- First Roast the Eggplant on the Flame on the stove. Or you can grill it for the best taste, if you have grill handy.
- And then peel all the roasted skin. (it comes very easily, if it is perfectly done). and take away the stem or trim the edge and let it cool.
- Take 1/2 cup of water and add tamarind and microwave it on high for 1 min. Let it cool, and extract the tamarind juice or thick paste out of it.
- Mash the roasted egg plant and take it into a bowl.
- Add salt, chopped onions, chopped green chili, red chili flakes and mix it very well.
- Add the tamarind paste to the bowl and mix it very well and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Now taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly. For your desired consistency add some more water as you needed. Top it with Tempering. That is it, it is ready to be served now.
You have to eat this with White Rice to get all the flavors in it. After eating this you will know, why it makes your cool... Usually we make this stew in the Summer.
Hope you had your Ugadi at your best, Wishing you one more time that, this New Year will bring wealth and prosperity to your and your family.
linking this recipe to ONLY South Indian Recipes event by Pari
Enjoy all those festive dishes.... until we meet here again.