CauliFlowery Lima Beans
Frozen Lima Beans - 16 oz package
Cauliflower Head - 1 Medium size (2 cups of Florets Approx.)
Red Onion - 1 medium size
Tomato - 2 (Ripe Cluster or Hot House)
Green Chillies - 3
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 table spoon
Cumin Seeds - 1 tea spoon
Black Pepper - 1/8 tea spoon
Curry Powder - 2 tea spoon
Red Pepper/Cayenne Powder - 1 tea spoon
Salt - 1 tea spoon ( according to your taste)
Milk - 2 table spoons
Sugar - 1/2 tea spoon
Chopped Cilantro - 2 table spoons
Canola / Vegetable Oil - 2 table spoons
1. Thaw the Frozen Lima Beans and mean while cut the Cauliflower into medium size florets, usually I break them into florets by hand (don't use knife), that makes the florets in even size and shape, and don't make them too small, the medium size will help them retain their shape in the curry. (Otherwise they will get mushy).
2. Take a medium size bowl filled with half water and place the cauliflower in the bowl and microwave for 5 min, and blanch them immediately.
3. Meanwhile cook the Lima Beans on stove top (according to directions on the package). I don't add any salt in the water when boiling the Lima beans.
4. Take the Non stick pot and put it on the stove add oil
5. Once the oil is hot ( after 1 min), add cumin seeds and when they start spluttering, add the sliced green chillies (long) and chopped onions.
6. Saute for 2 min, Then add the Ginger garlic Pate.When the onions become translucent add a 1/4 tea spoon salt and Black Pepper Powder (I usually do freshly grind).
7. Add the chopped tomatoes and place the lid and let it cook for 2 to 3 min.
8. Add the Curry Powder and red pepper powder cook for 2 more minutes
9. Add the milk and close the lid let it simmer until the nice gravy forms. (Gravy should look like as Shown in the picture)
10. Then add 1 cup of water and add remaining salt and Cooked Lima Beans (Save 1/3 of Lima Beans for another recipe) and let it cook for 5 min
11. Add the Cauliflower Florets (Save 1/3 for another recipe) to the gravy in the pot
12. Add 1 table spoon Cilantro followed by sugar and let it cook for 2 minutes
13. Switch off the stove and Transfer the Curry into a bowl and garnish with remaining cilantro.
14. Yum! Yum! Yum! Enjoy your Cauliflowery Lima Beans Curry with Indian Roti / Nan or Rice.
As this will be little spicy for little one's tummies, I have made another quick recipe for kids. And this can be served as a side dish also.
Cauli Flowery Lima Beans for Kids (Side Dish):
1. Place the non stick pan on the stove and 1 table spoon olive oil
2. Once the oil is hot add the Cooked Lima Beans and saute for 2 min.
3. Then add the cooked Cauliflower Florets (i usually mince them to small so that in consistent with Lima Beans size).
4. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
5. Add 4 to 5 drops of lemon juice and Sprinkle some Parsley Flakes.
6. Yum! Yum! Yum! a side dish for your little one's tummy is ready in minutes.
Now! Enjoy the whole family a healthy meal together.
Serving Tip: Usually the curry will taste good with any Roti or Nan (Indian Bread) or Hot Hot Rice, for a healthy option you can even server this over cooked brown rice.
Substitute Your routine green beans with Cauli Flowery Lima Beans (for Kids recipe) as Side dish for Thanks Giving Lunch. This dish is packed with protein and serves 2 servings of vegetables.
Hint: To make it easier for my american friends I have listed the Curry powder in the ingredient list, if you don't have curry powder you can add the combination of 1/2 tea spoon Turmeric + 1 tea spoon of Coriander Powder + 1/2 tea spoon of cumin powder.
For Gravies or Curries Use the Riped Cluster Tomatoes or Hot House Tomatoes , they should be juicy and sour for the best results. Do not use Roma Tomatoes.