I think this is my first shrimp recipe that I am posting here. It is true that i rarely cook shrimp as I have aversion to seafood because of the smell. But when i came to know that it's VJ favorite for the first time, then i dared to cook the shrimp. For some reason, seafood seems like still alive to me, call it my imagination or craziness, but that's how i feel (that's why i said Dared to cook) . Because of that also while marinating sea-food i use spatula than my hands to mix it. (anyways it's little secret, my odd feelings about seafood, so just keep it in between you and me...)! Coming to recipe, This is a simple recipe that can be fixed quick but with out convincing on the spicy flavors. Shrimp gets mixed with slowly simmered cilantro onion mixture and the touch of coconut gives an amusing taste to spicy shrimp in this stir -fry. Tongue tickling... Here is the recipe, Enjoy!
|Coconut Cilantro Shrimp|
Shrimp - 1 cup ( medium size, semi cooked and tail off)
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
onion - 1/2 medium
green chili - 2
Cilantro - 1/2 cup
Coconut Powder - 2 Tbsp
salt - 1 tsp (according to your taste)
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Lime juice- 1 tsp
Oil - 1 Tbsp
|Take a close peek - it's drool worthy...|
First thaw the frozen shrimp. Wash with warm water and drain them completely.
Take a non-stick pan and add the shrimp. Mix 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder to the shrimp.
now heat the non-stick pan until the shrimp becomes small and wilted. You have to stir occasionally.
Salt make the water oozes out from shrimp and you have to stir until all that water goes away. stir it occasionally to make the shrimp not touch the bottom, until all the water goes away. This needs little patience (esp for me). (it took me about 10 min).
- Heat the Non-stick pan and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds. Once they start spluttering, add the ginger garlic paste.
- Add chopped green chili and onions. Once the onions are sauted, add cilantro and mix it well until it mixes with onions. Now Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Keep the flame to low and simmer for 4 to 5 min. (until the cilantro infuses the onion mix.)
- Now add the cooked shrimp to pan. and Stir-fry along with onions and spices, well. ( 4 to 5 min)
- Taste and adjust all the seasonings. Now add the grated coconut powder to the shrimp and stir fry for another 2 min.
- Switch off the stove and Transfer it into Serving Bowl and squeeze the lime juice on top.
This sounds yumm when you serve hot with white rice or vegetable pulavo.
I have used frozen shrimp in this recipe, you can make the same with fresh shrimp also.
will be back with one more recipe...until then take care