Pudina Kaaram is another classic Andhra Style Recipe with Mint Leaves besides Pudina Chutney. This recipe comes straight from my Mom's Kitchen. I adore several of Kaaram (Spice Powder) recipes from my Mom's Kitchen. In this recipe, the mint leaves are slightly sauted with lentils and red chilies mixed with tamarind to balance the spices and grind in to coarse powder. You have to eat this Pudina Kaaram with Hot White Rice and Ghee to get the best taste out of it. As we got overwhelming mint produce this season, I have used the Mint from my garden in this recipe. Here is the recipe, Njoy!
Mint Leaves -1 bunch or 2 cups
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Red Chilies - 10
Chana Dal - 2 Tbsp
Urad Dal - 1 Tbsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic - 4 cloves
Tamarind - 1 Tbsp
salt - 1 tsp ( according to your taste)
- Pluck the mint leaves from stems and clean it under warm water. Spread this on the paper let it dry over night ( or a full day). the leaves should wilted and dry.
- Heat the Oil in the non-stick pan. Add Red Chilies, Chana Dal, Urad Dal and cumin seeds. Once they turn to golden color, add the coriander seeds and garlic cloves. Saute them with lentils for 2 min. Now Add the Dry Mint leaves and mix it with lentils and spices. At the end add Tamarind and saute for 2 min. Switch off the stove and let it cool for 30 minutes.
- Once it's cooled off, then grind everything in the small mixie jar along with salt. Add salt in small quantities and according to your taste adjust the salt. Grind coarsely and adjust the salt seasonings.
- Transfer this to air tight container and server with Hot White Rice and Ghee.
|Take a Close Peek....Hmmm, smells so good!|
- This mint spice powder is very good for your digestion. Every day for Dinner you can have this in the beginning.
- Spiciness depends on your red chilies, adjust them accordingly in the measurements.
- You need little old or aged mint leaves (not the tender or baby leaves) for this recipe, as the mint leaves needs to be dried up. Mint in the summer season would be perfect for this recipe.
Hope you have enjoyed the recipe from my Mom's Kitchen.
will be back with another great recipe, until then take care