Apr 17, 2014
Instant Sambar for Idli / Dosa ( Step - by - Step)
When ever we order Idli or Dosa at Hotel it comes with wide variety of Chutney, Podi and Sambar. I think that's what makes it acquire special taste for the Breakfast at Hotel. At Home I make Chutney when ever I make Idli or Dosa just to get the Restaurant Touch, but I have never made sambar as it is time consuming and i won't have that much energy in the morning. So recently I have come across this recipe, to make sambar instantly, it takes only around 15 minutes to make it with very less ingredients. Since then Idli and Dosa found great companion at my home, bringing the same restaurant taste to our South Indian Breakfast Plate. Here is the recipe, Njoy!
Red Chili - 2
Onion -1/2 medium
Tomato - 1
Putnala Pappu ( Roasted Chana Dal) - 2 Tbsp ( or 1/4 cup)
Tamarind - 1 Tbsp
Jaggery - 1 Tbsp ( or Brown Sugar)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
salt - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 Tbsp ( Chopped)
Water -1 Cup
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Tempering ( Taalimpu):
Ghee - 1 Tbsp
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 5
- Grind Roasted Chana Dal into fine powder and add to 1/2 cup of water and keep it aside.
- Add 1/3 cup of water to Tamarind and heat in microwave safe bowl for 1 min. Let it cool and mash the tamarind making it tamarind paste ( remove the tamarind pulp)
- Add 1 Tbsp Oil in the Non stick pot. Once the oil is hot, add red chili and finely sliced onions to the pan. Let the onions saute for 2 min. Now add Chopped Tomato to pot, mix it well and close the lid and let it simmer for 3 min.
- Remove the lid, now everything is mixed together, add Tamarind paste to the Pot. Mix it well with Onion Tomato mixture. Add salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder and mix well. close the lid and simmer for 5 min. Now add Chana Dal Powder mixed in with water to the pot. Add Jaggery and close the lid and simmer for 3 min.
- Now to make tempering (taalimpu), Heat non-stick pan and add Ghee to it. Once the Ghee is hot, add Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds. Once Mustard Seeds start spluttering add Curry Leaves that makes the tempering complete. Now add this Tempering to Sambar, finally garnish with some Coriander Leaves or Cilantro.
|Dig in your Idli or Serve Dosa with this Instant Sweet and Spicy Sambar to give that restaurant touch.|
|Ingredients to Make Instant Sambar|
Onion and Tomato Mixture simmering in Pot.
Add Tamarind Paste.
Add salt, turmeric, sambar powder to pot and mix it well.
Add Roasted Chana Dal powder mixed in with water to the Pot, along with Jaggery.
Finally Add Taalimpu to Sambar.
Finally taste and adjust salt and seasonings, and garnish with Cilantro.