May 10, 2012
Raw Papaya Curry
Have you ever tried cooking with Raw Papaya and made a curry out of it? I haven't, but my mom did for me (Well, I made this Papaya Pickle recently though). When mom came to Dallas (when i delivered my son), she took real good care of me after the delivery. She stayed with me for 6 months, i think that is the longest time we have spent time together real close. (as she is a working mom, when i was growing up she is busy with work and i was busy with studies and then later stayed in hostel ). I was lucky to get the 3 months maternity leave at work after delivery and so that time was the best-est time in my life, doing nothing and taking rest ( of course I was recovering ), gupshuping with mommy and taking care of my new born... nice memories.
|Raw Papaya Curry|
So in those early post-delivery days, there are certain dishes that new moms should eat to recover fast, gain strength and to feed the baby. Raw Papaya is one such curry, you should definitely eat in those days and also it helps to increase the milk supply for your new-born.. When my mom asked for the raw papaya, then VJ was in search of it, finally he was able to get that in Sprouts store (my fav store)!! But now I don't have to do that extensive search as we have a papaya tree right in the garden, so today i plucked a fresh raw papaya and made that curry (Nooo, I didn't deliver one more baby now :-)) just made this curry as I have fresh raw papaya at home ;-)...!! Here is the recipe, Enjoy!
Raw Papaya - 1 medium
Onion - 1 small
Green Chili - 1 or 2
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
salt - 2 tsp
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Curry leaves - 6 to 8
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chili - 1 or 2
Milk - 1/3 cup
- Heat the Oil in the pan (or small pressure cooker).
- Once the oil is hot add red chilies, chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds in the same order. Once they turn golden color add mustard seeds. mustard seeds start splutter, then add curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies and saute for a min. Add 1 tsp salt.
- meanwhile peel, seed-out the papaya and cut into small bite size pieces.
- add the chopped papaya to the pan and fry for 3 min. add the 1 tsp salt.
- Close the lid the simmer on low or medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Now you will see the curry becomes together (becomes like gravy), then add milk to the pan. and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the spices and turn off the heat. Close the lid and let flavors sink into curry.
Now your quick Raw Papaya Curry is ready now, serve that with hot white rice or pulka (or light roti).
- You can cook this curry in small pressure cooker for fast results. In step #6 close the lid and cook for 1 whistle. After opening the cooker lid, continue with step #7.
- This looks and tastes similar to your Turai ( Angualr Guard) or Lauki ( Bottle Guard) curries.
- This is very soft and creamy and good for kids and same as Creamy Zucchini Curry.
linking this to following events
take care until i come back with one more recipe