Aug 23, 2015
Gutti Podugu Vankaya Vepudu ~ Green Eggplant Stir Fry
Today at Taj Groceries I have come across these beautiful tender long green eggplants, usually this type of long and thin eggplants are very rare in states. I love this variety from my native Andhra, except those come in beautiful purple color. My Mom always makes the simple stir-fry with that variety of eggplant ( Vankaya Vepudu), that is the best and one of my favorite. So today cherishing that recipe in the memory lane of my childhood I am composing this simple Eggplant Stir-fry with slight variation of making it looking like stuffed which makes it look super fancy on your dinner table! Enjoy!
|Gutti Podugu Vankaya Vepudu|
Long Eggplants - 10 ( Podugu Vankaya)
Onion - 1 medium
Green Chili - 2
Coriander Leaves - 2 Tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Rice Flour - 1 Tbsp
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Whole Red Chili - 2
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 10 ( or 2 stems)
- Heat the non-stick pan, add 1 Tbsp Oil. Once the oil is hot, add red chili, followed by Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Cumin seeds. Sauté for 1 min until the lentil are turning into golden color, then add mustard seeds and turmeric powder. As mustards starts spluttering, add curry leaves and reduce the heat to low. That completes our tempering.
- Add chopped Green Chili and Onion to the pan and mix with tempering. Close the lid and let onions cook until their raw smell is gone. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp coriander powder to the onion slices and mix it well.
- Now add the spice covered eggplants to the pan one at a time making sure each one is touching the pan.
- Cook on low heat for 5 min, and turn each eggplant to the other side holding gently at their stems. Cook on other side for 5 more minutes. Now close the lid and let the eggplants simmer for few more minutes. Now add 2 Tbsp of coriander leaves to eggplants in the pan. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- You notice eggplants are cooked on all sides and becoming very soft and changing their color.
- Turn off the heat and keep them in the pan for 10 more minutes and after that transfer them to the wide bowl and serve with hot rice. The taste and flavor of this simple stir-fry will take you out of the world.
- For this stir-fry, the eggplants should be very tender and thin.
- you need to cook these on low heat, otherwise eggplants can easily burnt as these cook very fast.
will be back with another simple recipe,
Happy Cooking until then!